HAWAII LACROSSE 20th ANNIVERSARY INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT PRESENTED BY NIKE RETURNS TO OAHU OCTOBER 29-31, 2010
- The IROQUOIS NATIONALS Team to Compete in AnnualInternational Event
- “Nike Lacrosse is proud to begin a partnership with one of the premier events in the world of lacrosse,” said Joe Taylor, Nike Lacrosse manager. “We are especially proud to highlight our partnership with the Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team as part of N7, Nike’s commitment to bring sport and all of its benefits to Native American and Aboriginal communities in the U.S. and Canada.”
HONOLULU, HI (October 20, 2010) – The Hawaii Lacrosse 20th Anniversary Invitational Tournament presented by Nike will take place at Kapiolani Park, in Waikiki, Friday, October 29 through Sunday, October 31. This is the first year Nike Lacrosse is sponsoring the event.
Highlighting the tournament this year is the Iroquois Nationals lacrosse team, whose members will come together in competition for the first time since being unable to compete in the FIL Lacrosse World Championship last June in Manchester, England, due to visa complications. The Iroquois Nationals will also debut their new game day jersey, featuring the Nike N7 logo. Nike has partnered with the Iroquois Nationals since 2006.
The Hawaii Lacrosse Invitational Tournament has three divisions for men (Elite, Masters and Grand Masters), and one division for women (Elite). The Iroquois Nationals will compete in the men’s Elite division. Hawaii Lacrosse expects 30 teams to compete in this year’s event, including teams from Japan, Canada and the mainland.
The tournament brings 2,000 players and spectators to Honolulu each year to play and watch the “fastest game on two feet” and participate in a number of social events (schedule below). The tournament consistently attracts professional players and members of national teams throughout the world. Proceeds from the tournament benefit the Aloha Youth Lacrosse Association (AYLA), a non-profit organization whose mission is to advance boys and girls youth lacrosse in Hawaii, and the Wounded Warrior Project, a non-profit organization that honors and empowers wounded warriors by providing veterans with beneficial programs and a network of support from like service members.
“As we celebrate 20 years hosting our international tournament, we are thrilled to begin a partnership with Nike Lacrosse,” said tournament director and AYLA president Rudie Schaefer. “Our goal is to bring the best lacrosse players in the world to share their enthusiasm of the sport with our youth and our Hawaii lacrosse ohana. Having the support of a brand like Nike, as well as our other generous sponsors, will certainly help make that a reality this year.”
Additional sponsors of the 20th anniversary tournament include Aqua Hotels and Resorts, Lulu’s Waikiki, DeWalt, Girls Who Surf, Primo Island Lager, Red Bull, Talon Lacrosse and Tribal West Lacrosse.
For more information, visit www.hawaiilacrosse.com. Digital images and interviews available upon request.
Schedule of Events:
Friday, October 29
- 10:30 am: Native Hawaiian Youth Clinic presented by Nike N7 and the Iroquois Nationals, with equipment giveaways (free)
- 4:00 pm: – Wimmer Solutions Boy’s Youth Clinic, with equipment giveaways (free)
- Stick With It! Lacrosse Girl’s Youth Clinic, with equipment giveaways (free)
- 6:30 – 9:30 pm: Welcome party at Rumfire in the Sheraton Waikiki
Saturday, October 30
- 8:30 am – 4:30 pm: Tournament 1st and 2nd round games
- 4:30 pm: Exhibition game (details to be announced)
Sunday, October 31
- 8:30 am – 12:30 pm: Tournament final rounds
- 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Men’s and women’s championship games
- 4:00 pm: Tournament closing ceremoney and awards presentation
- 7:00 pm: Halloween party at Lulu’s Waikiki (tickets available for purchase at the tournament)
About Hawaii Lacrosse
Established in 1989, the mission of the Hawaii Lacrosse Club is to promote the development of lacrosse in Hawaii and the Pacific. In partnership with the U.S. Lacrosse Hawaii Chapter, a 501(c)(3) organization established in 2005, the Hawaii Lacrosse Club strives to provide programs and services that inspire participation while protecting and honoring the integrity of the game. We envision a future that offers people of all ages in our Pacific Region the opportunity to discover, learn, participate in, enjoy and ultimately embrace the shared passion of the lacrosse experience.