Daily Archives: April 22, 2011
College Lacrosse Recruiting: Dartmouth Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach Andy Towers Discusses What He Looks For In Student-Athletes And Importance Of Learning “Face-Off” Skills (Video)
Dartmouth Mens Lacrosse Head Coach Andy Towers talks about what Dartmouth looks for in recruits and how becoming a “Face-off” specialist can help student-athletes get recruited.
NCAA Lacrosse: Ohio State Men’s Lacrosse (7-6) Hosts Fairfield (6-6) In 4th Annual “Showdown In The Shoe” On April 23
Western High School Lacrosse: Cherry Creek Girls Lacrosse (CO) Is #1 In Latest “Lacrosse Magazine” Rankings Followed By Coronado (CA), St. Ignatius Prep (CA), Mullen (CO) And Bainbridge Island (WA)
West Region Top 10
1. Cherry Creek (Colo.) – 11-0 – There’s never been debate about the Bruins’ dominance in the West. They’ve proved it with their second victory against a No. 2 state-ranked team in less than two weeks, including a rout of Mullen. Cherry Creek opened that game scoring eight unanswered goals and then began the second half with four consecutive goals.
2. Coronado (Calif.) – 10-0 – The Islanders’ 12-10 victory March 29 over Torrey Pines may be a preview in rectifying last season’s CIF finals loss.
3. St. Ignatius Prep (Calif.) – 12-1 – The Wildcats’ 14-4 win over La Jolla on Monday was their seventh straight since suffering their only loss of the season to West Region No. 1 Cherry Creek. They overcame inconsistent performances against Menlo and Monte Vista. SI’s 17-16 victory over Menlo required nine unanswered goals after giving up a 4-0 lead, allowing six consecutive goals for an 11-11 tie with 8:03 remaining, forcing overtime with a goal with 14 seconds left and securing the win in double overtime. The Wildcats’ 11-7 victory Saturday over Monte Vista consisted of SI starting the game with a 3-1 deficit, scoring three unanswered goals and then holding the Mustangs scoreless for the final eight minutes.
4. Mullen (Colo.) – 7-2 – The Mustangs’ flat performance against Cherry Creek shows they have plenty of work to do before being serious contenders for a state championship.
5. Bainbridge Island (Wash.) – 5-0 – The Spartans outscored their opponents, 33-11, last week. Junior midfielder Bea Sheffer was largely responsible for that by scoring 18 goals.
6. Foothill-Orange County (Calif.) – 10-0 – The Knights’ seven-game winning streak has consisted of both blowouts and close victories. They enjoyed a 13-12 nailbiter Friday over Beckman and a 12-10 upset March 25 over Los Alamitos, breaking the latter’s 46-game winning streak. And Foothill-Orange County also finished with a 15-8 victory March 30 over Denver East and a 16-0 drubbing April 4 of Yorba Linda.
7. Carondelet (Colo.) – 10-2 – For the first time in 10 games, the Cougars allowed an opponent to score in double digits. Fortunately for Carondelet, it maintained its high-octane offense with a 22-13 victory Friday over Amador Valley.
8. Alta (Utah) – 10-0 – The Hawks’ undefeated record extends to last season, when it won a state championship over Riverton. It’s a good chance Alta will be back there again.
9. Oregon City (Ore.) – 9-0 – In a rematch of last year’s title game, the Pioneers secured a 10-9 victory over Wilson April 4 thanks to scoring the game winner with 28 seconds remaining. Oregon City followed that up last week with a 14-11 overtime win over Lake Oswego, the No. 3 team in the state.
10. Torrey Pines (Calif.) – 6-2 – TP just came off a close, nail-biting loss Coronado, but still remain one of the area’s best schools after winning last year’s CIF title.
Game of the Week
No. 2 Coronado at No. 3 St. Ignatius Prep, Tuesday
The Islanders will have the opportunity to secure a victory against a ranked team in the West region three weeks after doing so against Torrey Pines.
Growth Of Western Lacrosse: Marquette Men’s And Women’s Lacrosse Consultant Dave Cottle Discusses How Lacrosse Programs Are Fully-Funded, Have Found Top Coaches, And Have University’s Commitment To Building Successful Programs (Video)
Marquette University lacrosse consultant Dave Cottle was on campus Thursday and took time out of his schedule to discuss the landscape of NCAA Division I lacrosse and what the varsity sports will add to the campus community.
MCLA Lacrosse: #1 Michigan Men’s Lacrosse Tops Latest Poll Followed By Colorado State, Arizona State, Chapman And BYU
|Michigan||13-0||750||W, No. 6 Michigan State||at Toledo|
|Colorado State||10-1||719||W, No. 8 Colorado||at No. 12 Utah|
|Arizona State||9-3||680||W, No. 21 Simon Fraser||vs. No. 18 Arizona|
|Chapman||10-3||643||W, Claremont||vs. No. 13 UC Santa Barbara|
|BYU||13-2||627||–||vs. No. 2 Colorado State|
|Michigan State||10-4||598||L, No. 1 Michigan||at Western Michigan|
|Boston College||9-2||559||W, Rhode Island||vs. No. 8 Colorado|
|Colorado||7-4||537||L, No. 2 Colorado State||at No. 7 Boston College|
|Florida State||15-1||481||W, Florida||SELC TOURNEY|
|Cal Poly||11-4||439||W, No. 25 Stanford||vs. Sonoma State|
|Utah||7-4||423||W, Boise State||vs. No. 2 Colorado State|
|UC Santa Barbara||8-4||390||W, USC||at No. 4 Chapman|
|Oregon||8-6||373||W, Oregon State||PNCLL TOURNEY|
|Virginia Tech||10-3||324||W, East Carolina||SELC TOURNEY|
|Central Florida||11-1||274||–||SELC TOURNEY|
|UC Davis||10-3||240||w, No. 24 Cal||at Chico State|
|Arizona||10-4||219||W, No. 21 Simon Fraser||at No. 3 Arizona State|
|Illinois||8-4||182||L, No. 21 Lindenwood||vs. Illinois State|
|Simon Fraser||5-8||162||L, No. 18 Arizona||at Washington|
|Lindenwood||9-3||120||W, No. 20 Illinois||vs. Indiana|
|Minnesota-Duluth||5-7||88||W, Sonoma State||UMLL TOURNEY|
|California||6-6||88||W, Chico State||at No. 25 Stanford|
|Stanford||8-2||51||L, No. 11 Cal Poly||vs. No. 24 Cal|