West Region Top 10
1. Regis Jesuit (Colo.) – 16-1 – The Raiders’ 13-1 victory Saturday over Chaparral in a Colorado High School Activities Association Boys quarterfinals matchup simply proved their dominance. Regis Jesuit boasted 10 players that scored at least one goal. Junior attackman Ryan Ball scored two goals in the first 1:06 of the game. And the result never appeared in question.
2. Cherry Creek (Colo.) – 15-2 – The Bruins looked woefully unprepared in their 10-5 victory Saturday over Mountain Vista in a Colorado High School Activities Association Boys quarterfinals matchup. The Golden Eagles rallied from a 6-1 deficit to pull within two at the end of the third quarter. Kyle Tosh’s 12-save effort kept Mountain Vista in the game. And the victory for Cherry Creek was far from definitive until Henri Halle had a goal and an assist late in the game.
3. Mercer Island (Wash.) – 18-2 – Their 8-5 victory Friday over Skyline concluded the Islanders’ regular season, securing the top spot in the Northeaster Conference heading into the state tournament. Because of its top finish in the Division 1 standings, Mercer Island secured a bye to the State Tournament quarterfinals and won’t play until May 20 at Islander Stadium.
4. St. Ignatius Prep (Calif.) – 19-3 – The Wildcats have climbed significantly in the standings thanks to a seven-game winning streak. During that stretch, St. Ignatius Prep has scored 12.14 goals and allowed 3.29 goals per game.
5. La Costa Canyon (Calif.) – 18-3 – The Canyons have compiled signature wins against state powers Rancho Bernardo, Torrey Pines, Foothill-Santa Ana and La Costa Canyon, while two of their three losses came against out-of-state teams.
6. Coronado (Calif.) – 17-4 – The Islanders missed an opportunity in picking up a signature victory over St. Ignatius Prep and La Costa Canyon.
7. De La Salle (Calif.) – 17-3 – The Pilots have rebounded from a 3-3 stretch where they allowed 13.3 goals per game in those losses. Since then, De La Salle has won three consecutive games by holding teams to single digits.
8. Foothill-Orange County (Calif.) – 18-4 – The top-seeded Knights’ 19-5 victory over Mira Costa to secure their fifth consecutive CIF Southern Section championship featured a complete team effort. Foothill-Orange County scored five unanswered goals to start the game. The Knights held Mira Costa scoreless until the 2:11 mark in the first quarter. And they featured three players who scored hat tricks, including Cole (five goals), senior attackman Erik Adamson (four goals) and senior midfielder Josh Peterman (three goals).
9. Kent Denver (Colo.) – 11-4 – After allowing Wheat Ridge to open the game with three unanswered goals, Kent Denver rallied for a 13-9 victory Saturday in a Colorado High School Activities Association quarterfinal matchup. The Sun Devils responded with a second-half surge, outscoring Wheat Ridge 5-1 in the third quarter.
10. Lincoln (Ore.) – 18-2 – The Cardinals’ 16-game winning streak featured three shutouts, 13 double-digit efforts and one overtime victory.
Game of the Week
No. 2 Cherry Creek vs. No. 6 Kent Denver – Colorado High School Activities Association Boys quarterfinals at Englewood High School, Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Both the Bruins and Sun Devils are coming off subpar quarterfinal efforts, so it’s likely both teams will enter the game with plenty of urgency.
Player of the Week
Cameron Cole, Foothill-Orange County (Calif.)
Cole posted five goals and two assists in Foothill-Orange County’s 19-5 victory Saturday to win the team’s fifth consecutive CIF Southern Section championship.